How Long Does It Take Bleach To Kill Toenail Fungus? The Ultimate Guide

By Kathy Brisbane

Updated On

Toenail fungus is a common and often embarrassing condition that affects millions of people worldwide. Characterized by discolored, thickened, and brittle nails, toenail fungus can be difficult to treat and may cause discomfort or pain.

In the search for an effective solution, some people turn to unconventional methods, such as using bleach to kill the fungus. However, before attempting this treatment, it’s crucial to understand the risks and explore safer alternatives.

Key Takeaways

  1. Toenail fungus is caused by fungal infections and can lead to discolored, thickened, and brittle nails.
  2. While bleach has antifungal properties, using it to treat toenail fungus can be dangerous and cause serious side effects.
  3. Safer and more effective treatment options for toenail fungus include over-the-counter antifungal creams, oral medications, and natural remedies.

Understanding Toenail Fungus

Toenail fungus, medically known as onychomycosis, is a fungal infection that affects the nails. It is primarily caused by dermatophytes, a type of fungus that thrives in warm, moist environments. Poor foot hygiene, wearing tight-fitting shoes, and walking barefoot in public areas like swimming pools or locker rooms can increase the risk of developing toenail fungus.

Common signs and symptoms of toenail fungus include:

  • Discoloration of the nails, often turning them yellow, brown, or white
  • Thickening of the nails, making them difficult to trim
  • Brittleness or crumbling of the nails
  • Separation of the nail from the nail bed
  • A foul odor emanating from the infected nails

Early detection and treatment of toenail fungus are essential to prevent the infection from spreading to other nails or skin and to avoid more severe complications.

Also Read: Is Toenail Fungus Contagious? Get the Facts Here!

Bleach for Toenail Fungus: How Long Does It Take Bleach To Kill Toenail Fungus?

Some people believe that bleach can be an effective treatment for toenail fungus due to its antifungal properties. The active ingredient in bleach, sodium hypochlorite, is known to kill various microorganisms, including fungi. The idea behind using bleach to treat toenail fungus is that soaking the affected nails in a diluted bleach solution may help eliminate the fungal infection.

To use bleach for toenail fungus, the typical method involves mixing one part bleach with ten parts water to create a diluted solution. The affected nails are then soaked in this solution for about 10-15 minutes, once or twice a day, for several weeks or until the fungus is gone.

However, it’s essential to note that the effectiveness of using bleach to treat toenail fungus is not well-established, and there are significant risks associated with this method.

Dangers of Using Bleach for Toenail Fungus

While bleach may have antifungal properties, using it to treat toenail fungus can be dangerous and cause serious side effects. Some of the potential risks include:

  • Skin irritation and chemical burns: Bleach is a harsh chemical that can cause skin irritation, redness, and even chemical burns if not diluted properly or if left on the skin for too long.
  • Nail damage: Prolonged exposure to bleach can weaken and damage the nails, making them more susceptible to further infection and breakage.
  • Inhalation risks: The fumes from bleach can be irritating to the eyes, nose, and lungs, causing respiratory discomfort or even triggering asthma attacks in some individuals.
  • Increased risk of infection: If the skin around the nails becomes irritated or damaged due to bleach exposure, it may create an entry point for bacteria, leading to secondary infections.

It is strongly advised against using undiluted bleach or applying it directly to the skin without proper precautions. If you are considering using bleach to treat toenail fungus, it is crucial to consult with a healthcare professional first to weigh the risks and benefits.

Safe and Effective Treatment Options for Toenail Fungus

Fortunately, there are several safer and more effective treatment options available for toenail fungus. These include:

  • Over-the-counter antifungal creams: Topical antifungal creams containing ingredients like clotrimazole, terbinafine, or miconazole can be applied directly to the affected nails to help kill the fungus. These creams are readily available without a prescription and are generally well-tolerated.
  • Oral medications: For more severe or persistent cases of toenail fungus, a healthcare provider may prescribe oral antifungal medications such as terbinafine or itraconazole. These medications work systemically to fight the fungal infection from within the body.
  • Natural remedies: Some natural remedies, such as tea tree oil, vinegar, or Vicks VapoRub, have shown promise in treating toenail fungus. However, it’s important to note that the effectiveness of these remedies may vary, and they should be used with caution to avoid potential skin irritation.

In addition to these treatment options, maintaining good foot hygiene is crucial in preventing the recurrence of toenail fungus. This includes:

  • Keeping feet clean and dry
  • Wearing breathable shoes and moisture-wicking socks
  • Trimming nails regularly and keeping them short
  • Avoiding walking barefoot in public areas
  • Using antifungal foot powders or sprays


While bleach may seem like a quick and easy solution for toenail fungus, the risks associated with using this harsh chemical far outweigh any potential benefits. Bleach can cause skin irritation, chemical burns, nail damage, and even respiratory issues.

Instead of resorting to dangerous home remedies, it’s crucial to explore safer and more effective treatment options, such as over-the-counter antifungal creams, oral medications, and natural remedies.

If you suspect that you have toenail fungus, it’s essential to seek professional medical advice for proper diagnosis and treatment. A healthcare provider can assess the severity of your condition and recommend the most appropriate course of action to eliminate the fungus and restore the health of your nails.

Remember, early intervention and consistent treatment are key to successfully managing toenail fungus. By taking proactive steps to address the infection and maintain good foot hygiene, you can regain confidence in your feet and enjoy healthy, fungus-free nails.

Read More: Hydrogen Peroxide For Toenail Fungus: Is It An Effective Solution?


Q: Can I use bleach to prevent toenail fungus?

A: No, using bleach as a preventive measure for toenail fungus is not recommended. Bleach is a harsh chemical that can irritate the skin and damage the nails. To prevent toenail fungus, focus on maintaining good foot hygiene, keeping your feet dry, wearing breathable shoes, and avoiding walking barefoot in public areas.

Q: How long does it take to cure toenail fungus with antifungal creams?

A: The duration of treatment with antifungal creams varies depending on the severity of the infection and the specific product used. Most over-the-counter antifungal creams require daily application for several weeks or even months. It’s essential to follow the instructions on the product label and be consistent with the treatment to see the best results. Keep in mind that even after the fungus is gone, it may take some time for the damaged nail to grow out completely.

Q: Are there any home remedies that can help treat toenail fungus?

A: Some home remedies that have shown promise in treating toenail fungus include:
– Applying tea tree oil to the affected nails
– Soaking the nails in a vinegar solution
– Using Vicks VapoRub on the infected nails
– Applying snakeroot extract or oregano oil
However, it’s important to note that the effectiveness of these home remedies may vary, and they should be used with caution to avoid potential skin irritation. If you have a severe case of toenail fungus or if home remedies don’t seem to be working, it’s best to consult with a healthcare professional for proper treatment.

Q: Can I wear nail polish if I have toenail fungus?

A: It’s generally recommended to avoid wearing nail polish if you have toenail fungus. Nail polish can trap moisture and create an environment that promotes fungal growth. Additionally, wearing nail polish can make it difficult to apply topical antifungal treatments and monitor the progress of the infection. If you wish to wear nail polish, it’s best to wait until the fungus has been effectively treated and the nail has grown out completely.


  1. Mayo Clinic. (2021). Nail fungus.

Kathy Brisbane

Kathy Brisbane is a highly respected and experienced dermatologist with over three decades of expertise. After graduating with honors, she completed her residency and established herself as a leader in the field. Known for her compassionate approach and diagnostic abilities, Dr. Brisbane has authored numerous publications and lectures at conferences. Committed to staying at the forefront of advancements, she provides exceptional skin care and is widely regarded as one of the most trusted dermatologists.

View All Posts

Join the conversation