What Happens If You Swallow Mouthwash? Risks And Consequences

By Jason Wesley

Updated On

This content has been produced through meticulous research and improved by the resources of AI technology. The facts har̥r̥ve been thoroughly verified and the information has been refined for clarity and precision by our dedicated editorial team.

Mouthwash is a staple in many people’s oral hygiene routines, and for good reason. It freshens your breath, helps prevent cavities, and leaves your mouth feeling clean and invigorated. However, as beneficial as mouthwash can be when used correctly, it’s important to understand the potential risks associated with swallowing mouthwash.

In this article, we’ll explore what happens if you accidentally ingest mouthwash, the ingredients that can be harmful, and what steps you should take if you find yourself in this situation.

Key Takeaways

  1. Swallowing mouthwash can lead to immediate and long-term health consequences due to its potentially harmful ingredients.
  2. Symptoms of mouthwash ingestion can include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and even alcohol poisoning in severe cases.
  3. If you accidentally swallow mouthwash, it’s crucial to seek medical help, especially if you experience severe symptoms or discomfort.

Ingredients in Mouthwash

To understand why swallowing mouthwash can be dangerous, let’s take a closer look at some of the common ingredients found in these products:

1. Alcohol

Many mouthwashes contain high levels of alcohol, often ranging from 18% to 26% (Lachenmeier et al., 2009). While this helps kill bacteria and freshen breath, ingesting large amounts of alcohol can lead to intoxication, impaired judgment, and even alcohol poisoning.

2. Fluoride

Fluoride is a mineral that helps prevent tooth decay and strengthens enamel. However, swallowing too much fluoride can cause nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In severe cases, it can even lead to fluoride toxicity, which can be life-threatening (Whitford, 2011).

3. Chlorhexidine

This antibacterial agent is found in some prescription mouthwashes and is highly effective at reducing plaque and gingivitis. However, swallowing chlorhexidine can cause throat irritation, nausea, and vomiting

4. Essential Oils

Many mouthwashes contain essential oils like menthol, eucalyptol, and thymol for their refreshing taste and antibacterial properties. While these oils are generally safe when used as directed, ingesting large amounts can lead to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea (Kędzia et al., 2013).

Immediate Effects of Swallowing Mouthwash

If you accidentally swallow a small amount of mouthwash, you may not experience any immediate symptoms. However, ingesting larger quantities can lead to a range of unpleasant and potentially dangerous effects, including:

  1. Nausea and vomiting: The high alcohol content and other ingredients in mouthwash can irritate the lining of your stomach, causing nausea and vomiting.
  2. Dizziness and disorientation: The alcohol in mouthwash can be quickly absorbed into your bloodstream, leading to feelings of dizziness, lightheadedness, and confusion.
  3. Abdominal pain and diarrhea: Some ingredients in mouthwash, such as essential oils, can cause abdominal discomfort and diarrhea when ingested.
  4. Alcohol poisoning: In severe cases, swallowing large amounts of mouthwash can lead to alcohol poisoning, which can cause symptoms like slurred speech, impaired coordination, and even loss of consciousness.

If you experience any of these symptoms after swallowing mouthwash, it’s essential to seek medical attention promptly.

Long-Term Effects of Swallowing Mouthwash

While accidentally swallowing a small amount of mouthwash is unlikely to cause long-term harm, regularly ingesting mouthwash can have serious consequences for your health. Some of the potential long-term effects include:

1. Alcohol dependence

Regularly swallowing mouthwash can lead to alcohol dependence, as some people may intentionally consume mouthwash to become intoxicated.

2. Organ damage

The high alcohol content in mouthwash can damage the lining of your digestive tract and harm your liver and kidneys over time.

3. Increased risk of oral cancer

Some studies have suggested that the regular use of alcohol-containing mouthwashes may be associated with an increased risk of oral cancer, particularly when combined with other risk factors like smoking.

What To Do If You Swallow Mouthwash?

If you accidentally swallow a small amount of mouthwash, rinse your mouth with water and monitor yourself for any symptoms. If you experience mild discomfort, such as slight nausea or a burning sensation in your throat, drinking water and waiting for the symptoms to pass may be sufficient.

However, if you swallow a large amount of mouthwash or experience severe symptoms like vomiting, dizziness, or abdominal pain, it’s crucial to seek medical help immediately.

Call your local poison control center or go to the nearest emergency room for prompt treatment. Be prepared to provide information about the type and amount of mouthwash you ingested, as well as any symptoms you’re experiencing.

To prevent accidental ingestion, always follow the instructions on the mouthwash label and supervise children when they use mouthwash to ensure they spit it out properly.

If you have a history of alcohol abuse or are concerned about the risks associated with alcohol-containing mouthwashes, consider using alcohol-free alternatives.

Conclusion

Mouthwash is an effective tool for maintaining good oral hygiene when used as directed. However, swallowing mouthwash can lead to a range of immediate and long-term health consequences due to its potentially harmful ingredients.

By understanding the risks associated with ingesting mouthwash and taking appropriate precautions, you can enjoy the benefits of this product while minimizing the potential for harm.

Remember, if you accidentally swallow mouthwash and experience severe symptoms, don’t hesitate to seek medical help. Your health and safety should always be the top priority. By practicing caution and using mouthwash responsibly, you can maintain a healthy, fresh smile without putting your well-being at risk.

FAQs

1. Q: Can swallowing a small amount of mouthwash be fatal?

A: Swallowing a small amount of mouthwash is unlikely to be fatal for an adult. However, if a child or someone with a low body weight ingests even a small amount, it can lead to serious consequences and may require immediate medical attention.

2. Q: Is it safe to use mouthwash every day?

A: When used as directed, mouthwash can be a safe and effective part of your daily oral hygiene routine. However, it’s essential to follow the instructions on the label and not exceed the recommended usage frequency or duration.

3. Q: Can I use mouthwash if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?

A: It’s generally safe to use mouthwash during pregnancy and while breastfeeding, but it’s always best to consult with your healthcare provider first. They can recommend specific products that are safe for you and your baby.

4. Q: Are there any natural alternatives to traditional mouthwash?

A: Yes, there are several natural alternatives to traditional mouthwash, such as salt water rinses, hydrogen peroxide solutions, and herbal rinses made with ingredients like peppermint or sage. However, it’s essential to discuss these options with your dentist to ensure they’re appropriate for your specific needs.

Join the conversation